30/09/2018

When virtual reality meets reality...


I've been doing a lot of cycling on a trainer over the last year or so - partly because there have been a few times where I've been injured and running wasn't an option, and partly because it's very convenient to be able to change, get on the bike and start pedalling whatever the weather or time of day.  The main reason, though, is that I've been using Zwift...

Zwift is a bike training program that's also a massive multi-player online game.  Data from sensors on your bike is transferred to your computer (or phone, if you have one that meets the hardware requirements), and is used to drive your in-game avatar - the harder you're pushing the pedals, the faster you go in the game.  What makes it really good, though, is the gradient simulation - if you're using a smart trainer (I have a Tacx Flux), Zwift sends information about the virtual gradient to the trainer, which changes the level of resistance to simulate going up and down hills, which adds an element of immersion that I find makes trainer rides more interesting than using my old fluid trainer with constant resistance (where you change the difficulty/power required by changing gear).  It's also a serious training tool, with almost too many guided training sessions to choose from, and the option to use erg mode (where the resistance of your trainer is controlled based on the power level that the program requires at that point in time - a really good way of making sure that you hit the required numbers during the session!)

The multiplayer aspect also helps - there are races and group rides to join at any time of day, and you end up riding beside people from all over the world.  I've become a regular on the WBR Volt rides at 6:15am UK time on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - these are around 45-50 minute sessions, and usually contain some form of interval training (usually timed efforts at a set power level, but sometimes less formal sessions based on landmarks around the course, and often finishing with an optional mini-race) - where it's fairly common to see at least 15 or 20 nationalities represented.  There are quite a few regulars who are there for pretty much every session, and the atmosphere around the ride is very friendly and supportive (with plenty of chat and banter!)  These sessions have been a really good way to start my day - gives me a reason to get up early, and means that I've had a decent workout before I head to work.

While most of the courses in Zwift are fictional, the most recent course that's been made available is a very good simulation of the main loop of the course for the UCI World Championships currently being held in Innsbruck.  My reaction on riding the course when it was released a couple of months ago was 'that's nice, but nothing special' (well, after the initial 'great - new roads to ride and hills to climb!'), but the quality of the reproduction really hit home to me earlier today when I was watching coverage of the women's road race - I could tell almost immediately where the riders were on the course because I've ridden it (well, a virtual version...)  The feeling was very similar to playing Muirfield two days after the 2002 Open Championship, with the stands still up and the same hole positions as were used on the last day of the championship - probably the only time that I've read a putt based on how I saw it break on the TV coverage of the final round!

As with any other form of training, though, it needs to fit in with everything else that you do (particularly when you use it as a form of cross-training, which is what I usually do when I'm able to run).  It's very tempting to jump in to whatever event is on at the time and end up working a lot harder than you intended to - not ideal for a recovery day - but that aspect of Zwift has also pushed me to do things that I didn't think I could do, like stay with a group in a race when all I wanted to do was ease off and drop back, or ride on the trainer for more than four hours in one session because one of the big events had the option to do two laps of the Pretzel course (a hilly/mountainous loop of around 45km that covered all of the roads available on the Watopia course at the time in both directions).

It's not the most accessible software - needs a bit of equipment to be able to use it, and more expensive kit (particularly a good-quality smart trainer) to get the best out of it - and does require a monthly fee after a short trial period, but I've found that I definitely get my money's worth out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment